12.04.2006

WEEKLY HIPSTER MUSIC REVIEW (I AM A SHILL FOR THE MUSIC BUSINESS)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

It's about time I started paying attention to my indie rock vocabulary since I couldn't possibly entertain the idea of walking through the Mission District without my messenger bag, one in my extensive collection of post-modern (PoMo) T-shirts, and my hair quaffed exactly as I found it when I woke up: unwashed and un-styled for maximum cowlick exposure. Plus I need to Coke my way out of about 15 pounds; my ribs lack full definition.

I've noticed my mean machine C-money reading my blog from B.C. (henceforth referred to as "Bitchin' Canada!"), and she's always been my lifeline to new and exciting music. I figured all the BC rippers / weed dealers / tattoo + piercing outdoorsmen have got to be on the music up-and-up, so I'd better start pulling my A-game together, eh?

Plus (man, the hits just keep on rollin'), I've had a song tickling the back of my brain for a few days, and every time I hear it I think of an old friend of mine from the beating heart of Les Vert Mont. She's got such a dirty mind, and it never ever stops...

Ergo, I return these boys their hard-earned props. Hard-earned in respect to the Strokes diaspora in which all "indie rockers" now reside, poor skinny bastards.

ALBUM OF THE WEEK: Silent Alarm by Bloc Party
CHARTED SINGLES: "So Here We Are," "Banquet"
Their failure to find mainstream success in the US somehow makes this band just a little better in my esteem (think David Hasselhoff in Germany. Does any American own a DH CD? Or do we just enjoy mocking his hypnotically gyrating hips through the cultural crystal ball that is YouTube... Yea, I didn't think so.). Having been a fan of Franz Ferdinand's first album, then refusing to listen to even one track from the second, preferring instead to reflect on the heady days when "Alternative Music" meant "I don't hear that one track on every goddamn radio station 24 hours a day," I enjoy Bloc Party's homage to their closest relative on the indie family tree. The band, having met their defining moment at a Franz Ferdinand concert, pulls the IndieDiscoPop card from pretty much the middle of the deck, but some of the tracks are catchy enough to stick. I also failed to find even one of Bloc Party's tracks on all Bay Area radio stations through two straight days of dedicated searching, a critical moment in the audition process.

Give the album a gander, and then you can impress your friends with "That Bloc Party show at The Fillmore was so deck last night. Did you see all those tassles bustin' mad moby's in the VIP box?"

PS. I haven't the slightest idea what I just said. Comments will be met with appropriate consideration / mocking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Points off for "so here we are" appearing in a Saturn commercial

R said...

Stranger things have happened. "...nothing says Buy These Jeans like reminding people about genocide."

R said...

Bloc Party never had a song in the US Pop or Rock charts, ergo "never met mainstream success in America."

Also, nowhere in the blog post does it say "new and 'cool' kids' music." Rather it was the fact that none of the "cool kids" in Madison, Wisconsin were listening to "Silent Alarm" anymore that made it the album of the week. Ironic, don't you think?

I'm alarmed a bar-certified lawyer could overlook these key points.

R said...

Oh how I had been longing for an overtly-litigious, partially irrelevant, and rambling response.

And, yes, after receiving a number of personal emails, it seems my regular readers have again been put to sleep as if under the spell of some potent combination of opiates.

Zzzzzzzz...

Raise your hand if you think Reckless should spend his time improving his own defunct blog, and not wasting it regurgitating the contents of high-fashion magazines on mine? Remember when you used to give us such compelling stories to read? We liked those.

D. Breach would be so disappointed in you.